People Come First At Our Consumer Rights Law Firm

What do I do now?

On Behalf of | Jan 3, 2011 | Consumer Protection

First, call the collector.

  • The credit report should have the contact information for any creditor reporting on your credit report. If not, a simple internet search of the name of the company reporting on your credit file will lead you to them. Call them and find out about it; they will be more than willing to tell you what it is for and what you owe. Get a copy of the bill from them, and if it is owed, promptly pay it.

It is extremely important that you mention to the collector that you never received a bill in the first place.

  • Collectors take notes of most of their phone calls, so you want to get that comment into the notes if you can. Clearly explain that you dispute having this on your credit report, because you would have paid the bill before it went to collections.

Next, dispute the item on your credit report

Make sure your dispute is clear and includes the following very important points:

  • You did not ever receive a bill or a notification of any sort that any money was still owed for the services.
  • Upon receiving notice of the outstanding bill, you promptly paid it.
  • You dispute having a collection appear on your report as you were never given the chance to pay the bill in a timely manner.

The credit reporting agencies will conduct an investigation and respond to you with the results of their investigation within 30 days*.

*If your credit report is not cleared up, you have rights. Contact us.